Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sugar-free Chocolate Brownies


I realized early on that the key to my success with this sugar-free lifestyle would be to continue baking...somehow. It's certainly not easy to find recipes without sugar, and desserts at that. Anyhow,  a couple of weeks ago I came across a recipe for a Bitter Chocolate Cake on Spoonful of Sugar Free.  It took me a couple of weeks to man up and try to make this recipe.


On Monday night I finally did it. I substituted the pumpkin puree for apple sauce, added a pinch of salt and a pinch of stevia. I definitely couldn't eat it straight - I think it'll take some time for me to do that. Instead I whipped some cream and it made it sooo delicious!  I really liked the texture which was nearly identical to a brownie. I would probably add more applesauce in the future to overpower the bitterness of the cocoa a tad more, but all in all I would certainly call it a success.



Sugar-free Chocolate Brownies

Adapted from Spoonful of Sugar Free.

Makes: 2 individual brownies

Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 Tablespoons of applesauce
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 powdered stevia extract
  • 1/8 salt
  • water
Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix all of the above ingredients together. Add a splash of water until it reaches the consistency of a thick pudding. Pour batter into a Ramekin or tartlet tin.Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For added flavour, you can eat this with whipped cream or jam.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. MMmmm!!! Yours looks fantastic! I'm glad you made it :) And liked it! Just keep working yourself up to the bitterness of it....You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete