Monday, January 3, 2011

The first few days

It has begun!

It's been nearly two days since I started my ban on sugar.

Over the holidays I thought a lot about how successful I could be at this - especially while eating candy and chocolate. Two days in, I am feeling very confident.

Yesterday started out well, but my first challenge came when my husband and a friend wanted to go out to a Sushi restaurant for an afternoon meal. I was hesitant to go but I figured there's no time like the present. The hardest thing about eating out is not knowing what they put in the food. Basic items like salad dressing and soya sauce are likely targets for hidden sugar.  What's most frightening is that even sushi rice contains sugar in it!   I opted to order edemame and some sashimi.  I wouldn't call this a filling meal, but in the future I may also opt for miso soup and ask more questions of the waiters.

Today was also successful. For the first time in a long time I prepared oatmeal.  I cut up some bananas and sprinkled cinnamon and nutmeg for flavour - it was surprisingly good.

I also made hummus, but I will need to work on the recipe some more before I can share it here.

Tomorrow I go back to work after the holiday break. This will certainly pose a number of challenges that I look forward to writing about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment